Sushi bake is a super simple way to prepare sushi. You can easily change the ingredients to things that you like or things that you have available in the pantry. Start by making the sushi rice. You will need about 5 cups of sushi rice. When the sushi rice is cooked, mix in some of your favourite furikake. Furikake is a dry seasoning you can use a rice topper, on Poke or even over salad. They come in a lot of different flavours.
Layer the bottom of your baking dish with the sushi rice and cover with chopped up fish pollock and salmon. You can use leftover baked salmon or even some canned salmon. You can even try other combos of ingredients you find in sushi such as tuna, avocado, tobiko. After topping the rice with the pollock and salmon, top it with some okonomiyaki sauce and Japanese mayo. Sprinkle the sushi bake with some sesame seeds and green onions.
Place the sushi bake in an oven pre-heated at 375 degrees. Bake for 15-20 minutes to heat up the toppings. When the sushi bake is ready, serve the sushi with pieces of seaweed. Its like a make-your-own hand rolls. Enjoy!!
- 5 cups of cooked sushi rice
- 8-10 pollock sticks
- 1 can of canned salmon or a cooked salmon filet
- Japanese mayo
- Okonomiyako sauce
- Roasted sesame seeds
- Chopped green onions
- Dried seaweed sheets
- Cook 5 cups of sushi rice.
- When the rice is cooked, mix in some furikake.
- Cover the bottom of the baking dish with the rice.
- Top the sushi rice with some chopped up pollock and some canned salmon or broken pieces of cooked salmon.
- On top of the sushi toppings, cover with a layer of okonmiyaki sauce and Japanese mayo. Sprinkle with some sesame seeds and green onions.
- Place the sushi into a 375 degree oven for about 15-20 minutes. This will heat the toppings.
- After about 15-20 minutes, take the sushi bake out of the oven.
- To eat your sushi bake, take the sheets of seaweed and tear or cut into squares and make small hand rolls with the baked sushi and seaweed. Enjoy!!
If you liked this recipe, check out the rest of our blog.