Have you ever wanted a fun way for people to eat food?? Try monkey bread!! Parties and gatherings won’t be the same with this. People can grab a piece and go.
To substitute buttermilk, I used plain yogurt and milk. Mix the yogurt and milk until it becomes a buttermilk consistency.
In a sauce pan, put 1 1/2 cup brown sugar and 3/4 cup butter. Heat the butter until it becomes a nice brown sauce. Turn off the heat and set aside until ready to use. In a separate bowl, mix 1/2 brown sugar and cinnamon.
In a mixing bowl, mix the dry ingredients together (4 cups flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt). Add 3/4 cup softened butter to the flour and cut it with two knives or a pastry cutter. This will create little chunks of butter. Add the buttermilk and mix all the ingredients until it becomes a dough.
In a bundt or cake pan, pour half of the butter and brown sugar sauce. Roll 1 inch balls and place it in the sauce. Create a layer of these dough balls. Pour half of the remaining butter sugar sauce and sprinkle with the brown sugar cinnamon.
Add another layer of dough balls. Pour the rest of the brown sugar butter sauce. Sprinkle with the rest of the brown sugar cinnamon.
In a preheated oven (350 degrees) bake the monkey bread for 30-40 minutes. When the monkey bread is done take it out of the oven and let it cool in the pan for 10-15 minutes. This will allow the bread to cool and set in place.
The monkey bread hold the shape of the pan and reveal the nicely browned sugar syrup the formed at the bottom. (Its similar to upside pineapple cake!) To make it extra special, I added some sugar icing. Serve it warm! Yum!
- ¾ cup butter
- 1½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 4 cups all purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup butter (1½ sticks)
- 1¼ cup buttermilk
- In a small pan melt together 1½ cups brown sugar and ¾ cup butter, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a small bowl combine ½ cup brown sugar and cinnamon. Stir well and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and soda, and salt.
- Cut in ¾ cup butter to the flour mixture.
- Add buttermilk and stir. Knead mixture to work in all flour and make a dough.
- Put half the butter/brown sugar mixture in your pot in the bottom of a Bundt pan.
- Divide dough in half.
- Tear off 1 inch chunks of half the dough and roll in to balls. Place the balls in a layer in your pan.
- Cover layer with half the brown sugar/cinnamon mixture and ½ of the rest of the butter/brown sugar mixture.
- Use the rest of the dough to make another layer of dough balls on top of the bottom layer.
- Cover the top layer with the rest of the brown sugar/cinnamon mixture and the rest of the butter/brown sugar mixture.
- Bake at 350 degrees for around 25-30 minutes.
- Allow bread to cool for about 1 minute and then invert on to a serving platter.
Check out other recipes on our blog https://eatitnoworeatitlater.com/recipe-list/