During the pandemic its been hard to meet up with friends, family and loved ones. Home baked items also has been harder to share since a lot of people hesitate to give something that might be contaminated. I still love baking but without being able to share my goodies, I’ve slowly stopped making anything. This is where the “Chocolate Cake for Two” comes in!! A handy recipe for some quick cake that is just as delicious as a whole cake.
Begin by preheating the oven to 350 degrees Celsius. In small bowl, mix together the dry ingredients. You will need 1/4 cup sugar, 1/4 cup all purpose flour, 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder, 1/4 teaspoon baking powder, 1/8 teaspoon baking soda, a pinch of salt and 1 teaspoon instant coffee.
Add the 1 large egg, 3 tablespoons milk,1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract and1 tablespoon canola oil to the dry ingredients. Mix well. Note: I used oat milk as a substitute for milk but you can use other alternatives such as soy milk, almond milk, or coconut milk.
When the ingredients are mixed, divide the mixture into two greased ramekins. Bake for 20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Don’t over bake!! It will end up really dry so keep an eye on it. It does cook faster than you think.
Take out when ready and let it cool. While the cake is cooling, make the icing. Mix together 1/4 cup powder sugar and 1 tablespoon cocoa powder. Add 1 teaspoon of milk at a time and mix. Keep adding milk until you get the consistency you want. Go slowly because a little liquid goes a long way!
Ice the cakes and decorate with the toppings. I chose some fresh raspberries but you can use blueberries, sliced strawberries or sprinkles. Enjoy!!
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- pinch of salt
- 1 large egg
- 3 tablespoons milk or milk alternative (I use oat milk but soy, almond and coconut milk will work as well)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- milk, as much needed to make frosting
- toppings like fresh berries or sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Celsius
- In small bowl, mix together the dry ingredients (sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, salt, instant coffee).
- Add the egg, milk, canola oil and vanilla to the dry ingredients. Mix well.
- Divide the mixture into two greased ramekins.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Don’t over bake!!
- Take out when ready and let it cool.
- To make the icing, mix together the powder sugar and cocoa powder. Add 1 teaspoon of milk at a time and mix. Keep adding milk until you get the consistency you want.
- Ice the cakes and decorate with the toppings.
If you liked this recipe, check out the other recipes on our blog.